Old Oct 13, 19, 11:04 pm
CanadianWings

Programs: ANA Mileage Club
Unhappy Forced to gate check carry-ons then hit with a $600 excess baggage fee!

Just want to share an unexpectedly bad experience with ANA at the gate in Vancouver.
I was travelling with three others from YYC to Manila with two stops in YVR and Tokyo. Air Canada was the carrier that brought us to Vancouver. The gate agent in YYC stopped us and forced us to gate check three of our carry-ons straight to Manila as the flight was "full". The flight then proceeded uneventfully with many overhead bins empty!
Fast forward to the gate in YVR, the ANA gate agent advised us that there would be a $600 excess baggage charge because the total free checked baggage allowance was 8 pieces for the four of us. With three carry-ons gate checked, we were informed that our total checked bags was now 11 pieces and they have to charge us $200 per excess piece that was gate-checked in YYC. We tried to explain that we didn't choose to gate check the bags and Air Canada forced us to, but she wouldn't waive the fee and was told I have to contact Air Canada for a refund or some sort of compensation.
I understand that it's not really ANA's fault as they are just following their rules but the Air Canada gate agents in YYC never told us that there was going to be a fee to pay once we reached YVR.
The onboard experience was excellent as always on ANA, but this gate experience in YVR left me feeling frustrated. Unfortunately, I am due to fly this route again soon, so I just have a few questions:

1. Can you tell the gate agent that you wish not to gate check carry-ons especially when you have a connecting flight with a different airline?
2. If the gate agents in YYC checked the carry-ons only up to YVR, would there still be an excess fee?