FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Consolidated "Hertz Accident and Insurance" Thread
Old Oct 11, 2019, 11:01 am
themicah

Originally Posted by Maxwell Lee
The card insurance covered Hertz' loss up to $10k, and I believe the total was around $10,400. I called Hertz on a few occasions and no one could ever help me with making a payment on the balance, so I never did.
My guess is that the card insurance actually negotiated the claim with Hertz and they just didn't tell you. In my case I didn't even get a copy of the claim until after Chase had already started negotiating it with Hertz. Chase actually negotiated a written legal release with Hertz behind the scenes that released me as well as Hertz. If Chase and Hertz had come to a settlement I probably wouldn't have even known about that release (they would have just told me it was done). But in my case, because I had to kick something in to bridge the gap, Hertz wouldn't sign the release until I paid my share.

Not all insurers will get a written release, though. Some will just pay the portion they cover and leave you holding the bag on the rest of it without even getting your permission.