FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 2020 MP changes — Will you switch loyalty programs? What program will you switch to?
Old Oct 11, 2019, 6:43 am
fumje
FlyerTalk Evangelist

2020 MP changes — Will you switch loyalty programs? What program will you switch to?

Perhaps posing these questions now is slightly too early, and many are not yet settled on an answer, but with the changes to the MileagePlus program in 2020:

Will you change to or favour another airline loyalty program?

What program(s) do you find to be better going forward?

-----

My own perspective now is mainly uncertainty.

I do virtually all of my travel planning, and also virtually all of my travel spending comes out of my own budget or income. I feel the program has rapidly become too expensive relative to the cost. Without finding a special niche or loophole, the cost of 1K status has gone up $6k in two years. I think that is simply too much. Over those two years the ability to upgrade long-haul flights has not improved, and at least to me that was the main value in the loyalty program. Most domestic benefits — short haul CPU, snackbox/burger, even E+ — are to me worth tens of dollars per flight, i.e. not much. I usually can be flexible with schedule to make it work, but it's tiresome doing that every trip.

For the questions above, I am suspecting I may switch to having no focus on any program, but I have not done a thorough analysis yet to know everything that is out there. The Star Alliance network has been well suited to my travel, but I also have relatively limited experience with Oneworld and SkyTeam. I'm sure DL and AA are not going to be any more appealing than UA next year, but perhaps a foreign program will be. So as to the questions —

Will you change to or favour another airline loyalty program?
Subject to change in my thinking, I will primarily fly UA in 2020 with status benefits, and thereafter begin splitting credit between something in *A and something in SkyTeam or Oneworld for low/mid tier status in both.

What program(s) do you find to be better going forward?
Unsure at the moment.

The only thing I am sure of now is I will not be handing over 18k to UA next year!