FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Brazil F1 Race Weekend Logistics
View Single Post
Old Oct 10, 2019, 1:21 pm
swingaling

Programs: AA EXP
Brazil F1 Race Weekend Logistics

As part of a larger trip, I'll be stopping in Brazil for a couple days. Coincidentally, my trip overlaps with the Brazil F1 race, so I figured I'd check it out while I'm there. I originally planned to stop in Rio, but checking out an F1 weekend is more appealing.

I'm trying to figure out where I should stay. Ideally, I'd like to be somewhere with convenient access to public transport so I can get to the track with a minimum of hassle. Bonus, somewhere with other things to see/do in case I bail on some of the race sessions. The track is located in Interlagos off the CPTM L09 (Estacao Autodromo).

Currently considering:
Sheraton Sao Paulo WTC
Pullman or Radisson in Vila Olimpia
Hotels on Avenida Paulista near Estacao Paulista do Metro

Here's my current itinerary:

Friday 15 Nov 2019
06:30 AM -- Arrive at GIG on TP75 from LIS
08:15 AM -- Fly GIG to CGH on G3 1061 **Refundable Ticket**
09:25 AM -- Arrive at CGH and head to Interlagos for FP1 (11AM) & FP2 (3PM)
05:00 PM -- Leave track and head to hotel

Note: As a back-up plan, I've booked myself on LA3578 GIG to GRU, departing at 09:10AM. Worst case, I could take G3 1063 to CGH at 11:40 AM. No checked bags.

Saturday 16 Nov 2019
11:00 AM -- Go to Interlagos for FP3 (12PM) & Qual (3PM)
04:00 PM -- Leave track and head back to hotel
07:00 PM -- Depart hotel for GRU
11:20 PM -- Fly home JJ8164 to BOS

1. If I end up stuck on the LA flight to GRU, how bad will traffic be at 10:30AM on a Friday (going into the city)? It's a national holiday too, so I don't know how that will influence things.

2. Any hotel suggestions? Preferably somewhere under $200/night.

3. Finally, after the Saturday session, I'd like to be able to go back to the hotel briefly before heading to the airport. I assume traffic to the airport on a Saturday night won't be terrible?