FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.
View Single Post
Old Oct 7, 2019, 5:10 pm
jrl767
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by jlemon
48. It's 1983 and you have just been awarded a consulting contract in San Diego. Your location is Washington, DC and you have found a direct one stop flight from Dulles (IAD) to Lindbergh Field (SAN). First class is available, of course. What airline will you be flying with, where will you stop and what kind of aircraft will you be traveling on?
48- I'm pretty sure that, during much if not most of the 1980s, American's evening DC-10 flight from IAD to Los Angeles (LAX) continued to SAN ... but I'm also pretty sure that this is far too obvious an option

I'd similarly opine that an AA 727/72S via one of their other hubs (ORD and DFW) is not the jet we are looking for; I was a regular on United (SEA<-->WAS) at this time, and I recall flying the DC-10, D8S, and 72S (and maybe even a 767) via Denver (DEN), but again I doubt that any of those continued to SAN; TWA wasn't at IAD except for the L-1011s that ran LAX/SFO-IAD-Europe

a couple weeks ago we mentioned a Western DC-10 operating JFK-IAD-SLC-LAX-HNL in 1982 ... if I recall correctly, WA had two IAD-SLC flights, which means this could have been a 72S continuing SLC-SAN ... let's go with that for now

Originally Posted by jlemon
52. You are back in New York City and have been working out of an office located close to La Guardia Airport. Following dinner one evening, you are summoned to an urgent meeting in Los Angeles the next morning. There's a flight departing LGA just before 9:30 pm which you should be able to catch in time which will get you into LAX just before 1:30 am with one stop being made en route. Name the air carrier, the stop and the aircraft.
52- the departure and arrival times, combined with the segment lengths, make this an operationally ambitious guess, but I like the idea of an Eastern A300 via Atlanta (ATL)