FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Impacts of demonstrations on travel
View Single Post
Old Oct 7, 2019, 10:25 am
MSPeconomist
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by pfofyen
In terms of travel insurance - and I will read the T&Cs / call them - are trips likely to be covered if it were booked today? Many insurers will state that you can't have a foreseeable reason that there could be a claim although notably the FCO have not stated that you shouldn't travel.

I wanted to use HKG as a bit of a hub to travel around Asia and I'd still like to - if the situation gets much worse in the city I will just stay in an airport hotel and move away, if things cool off I'll explore the city for a few days as originally planned.
Instead of spending several days in an airport hotel, wouldn't it be better to take the ferry from HKG airport directly to Macau for just a couple days?

It's too bad that the Kowloon airport express station is closed as you could use airport express train and their hotel shuttles to a well located hotel in Kowloon and then basically just walk to stuff to do on the Kowloon side. You wouldn't see all of Hong Kong this way, but it would be a way to avoid the hassles of closed MTR stations/lines and trying to get around by taxi.

Alternatively or you've scheduled more than one Hong Kong "layover" you might try a hotel within walking distance of the airport express central station and again focus on doing stuff within walking distance (including using the escalator as I haven't heard of it being closed due to protests).