FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Air Astana Business Class Review
View Single Post
Old Oct 7, 2019, 6:23 am
Sam Bee

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
Quick comments on anyone reading this who gets stuck down back

I flew LHR-TSE-LHR recently in Economy, 757 in both directions.

On the way out I paid £35 for an emergency exit (times are horrible - 18:00 departure, 05:35 arrival for a 6 hour flight), it was on an unrefurbished plane with NO seat back entertainment. Food was excellent, decentish wine, and friendly staff. But the lack of seatback entertainment caught me by surprise. And despite handing out earphones, nothing on the overhead screens.Enjoyed the flight all the same, flight was running 50%.

On the return I hadn't booked an emergency exit assuming i'd get 3 seats to myself like everyone did a few days before on way out. BIG mistake. Had largest guy i'd seen in my life in front of me, was 100% full, and couldn't move anywhere. Worst flight of my life - and my own fault. Because of his weight the seat reclined by 3/4 inches more than normal recline. However food was good, and we had seat back TV's with good range of films / programmes for a seat back TV (I watched Chernobyl which was great!). Great amenity kit that included handy blow up neck pillow.

Felt like an old school airline with lovely staff & service and excellent timekeeping (albeit I know the previous ex-LHR flight had been delayed 16 hours). Would absolutely fly again. Would absolutely book emergency exit in both direction! They did have some rows of Air NZ styled 'economy sleeper' where you get a mattress on row of 3 seats to yourself but didn't check pricing. Astana Airport very new, modern and efficient. They DO check your laptop powers up so get it charged!