FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - LAX-it - no Uber or Lyft pick-ups at terminals
Old Oct 5, 2019, 5:11 pm
bzcat

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ianmanka
LAWA has posted their press release and FAQs (PDF). Effectively, they're starting their own BRT system, with dedicated lanes for LAWA vehicles (inner curb lane of arrivals level). Enforcement will be the big question mark.

Due to the automated people mover construction, they're going to lose 30% of their inner curb space.

I'm excited for the change, it'll make for a better experience overall (though if you have tons of luggage, maybe not).
That's the only way it can work. I've been saying for years (as long as I've been on FT anyway) that LAWA needs to give buses priority lane so it doesn't get stuck in traffic. LAX has SO MUCH road space but it is badly managed. They've never tried to prioritize giving larger vehicles preferential access but looks like they've now reached the point of complete chaos so they are willing to give this proven idea a try.

What they should do is combine the bus lane implantation with congestion surcharge to further discourage empty cars circling the roadway. License plate scanners are cheap... install them at all the entry point and if a car is caught entering the loop more than twice in a given amount of time, they get a bill in the mail like the HOV toll lanes work.