FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Flighty - A new Flight Tracking app for iOS
Old Oct 5, 2019, 5:08 pm
flightyryan
Company Representative, Flighty App

Programs: flighty.com
Originally Posted by lsquare
I would appreciate if flightyryan can comment on this. So SFO have one runway shut down so this is a good chance to test Flighty. For YVR-SFO, the scheduled departure time was 6 AM PDT. When I arrived at the airport, there was no indication that the flight to SFO would be delayed. Google and Flighty both indicated that the flight would be depart on time. I forgot when the last call for boarding was, but it was around 5:45 AM or so. I was still at a lounge eating and I wanted to arrive just as the gate was closing. When I arrived at the gate, there was a huge line and I started asking questions. Apparently UA618 would be delayed by around 2.5 hours. Moments later, Flighty started showing the delayed departure out of YVR. I walked back to the lounge cuz I didn't want to sit by the gate for 2.5 hours. Not sure what to make out of it, but it would have been great to have learned of the delayed departure prior to walking to the gate.

Looking at my flight history, it doesn't seem like YVR-HND was corrected. I think flightyryan said he was looking into it, but I think it's been roughly a month and it hasn't been corrected.

I'm flying again today with AC to TPE. Will provide more update and observations about Flighty later.
Hey Square! For that old flight, try deleting it and re-adding it, that will force the data to get the absolute latest.

This SFO runway thing was a great test. Basically FAA mandated 2.5 hr ground delays at all departure airports for the entire month. Our system is built such that

1) we monitor the next 3-hours or flights out of an airport + the last 1-hour. We average the delay.
2) As it gets worse, we send an alert to you with increasing severity. 3)
Anytime we see any delay, we check the FAA OIS website for why And tell you why.

This works well because it’s REAL ground truth. Real delays or not. It doesn’t work so well, if there are no real delays! That’s exactly what happened here. The FAA OIS posted the notice, but the airlines hasn’t delayed a single flight yet. And since you were first in the AM, no one before you was delayed either!

So, why don’t we check the FAA OIS and alert you anytime there is a post their, instead of waiting for a real delay?... As you might be thinking that’s a pretty easy one: They list planned delays. I’d rather show actual delays.

Hence, the gap in our system was identified! ... and of course, we are now working out how to handle that perfectly, without opening any other gaps! AKA making software.

We’re working on some exciting stuff, and getting even more better data, but this SFO thing put this on our map too. Sure would have been Flighty-ish to tell you beforehand when no one else did. It will next time