FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Your Worst Travel Day Experiences
View Single Post
Old Oct 5, 2019, 10:58 am
StartinSanDiego
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Yikes, sounds like you're extra tired or somehow off kilter this time. Welcome to FT.

I have 2 stories:

First, I was pick pocketed in Amsterdam and lost about $800 in cash, all my credit cards, and my drivers licence. I foolishly did not split up my cash and credit cards, and the thief got them all. I felt like such an idiot because I know better, but just hadn't done it. I called Amex and was assured that a new Platinum card would be sent to my next hotel. I did have my passport in the hotel safe, and the flight information, and so I left for St. Petersburg the next morning with about 40 euro that I scrounged up from my purse and luggage. I then waited for the Plat card to show up... it never did. Turns out that Amex isn't everywhere-- not in Russia. It takes me a couple of days to figure out that the card isn't coming, and meanwhile, my 40 euro isn't going far. I was doing a lot of walking and eating at the supermarket and at the hotel. It was not fun to be penniless. Eventually, Mr. San Diego saved the day by Western Unioning me some money, but the banking there was not as customer friendly as I was used to and very little English was spoken. Getting the Western Union funds from the bank was an ordeal in and of itself. In the end, I missed many highlights because I didn't have any money to buy tickets. I complained to Amex and got a $250 statement credit, but that didn't make up for missing the grand sites of St. Petersburg because I waited for a credit card that was never going to come.

On the heels of the St Petersburg debacle, I once left my brand new Chase Sapphire Reserve credit card at a coffee shop at the Venice train station. We were staying in the Euganian Hills, which is near Venice, but a couple of stops down the local train line. I called to find it out if they had it, and yes, come back and get it. So, now my passport is always safely tucked into the hotel safe, because that's what saved my trip after being robbed in Amsterdam a few months earlier. But the coffee shop has the card, and that should be ok. So I get on the train and go back to the coffee shop. It takes about an hour. But, by the time I get back, they've given my card to the police and it's at the police station a few doors down. After a long wait at the police station, I tell them my name and I'm here for my card, which was just turned in from the coffee shop. The cop says "May I see your passport?" Um, the passport is in the hotel. The young cop wants me to go back to the hotel and get the passport. I show him a copy of my drivers licence (My name! My photo! Me! Same name as on the credit card!) which I happen to have on my cell phone photos, and he says nope, that won't do, he needs the passport. I was about to go back on the train to the hotel, but the old cop in the back jumped in and OKed it and the young one gave me the credit card.