FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Which Frequent Flyer Program to Join? Help Is Here!
Old Oct 4, 2019, 3:42 pm
ivorythunder

Hi,

I have been struggling with this for a while now (it is a big decision after all), so decided to come here for help.
I am relocating from UK to USA early 2020. Moving to Austin, which is not a hub for any of the big 3, so trying to decide which one should I go with.
I will try to provide as much info as I can here, which should ease your ability to help me with my choice.

I am currently a Gold member of British Airways Executive Club, and would be looking to do a Status Match/Challenge where possible. I currently have been flying globally, mostly Europe, Middle East, Africa and North America for work, plus Asia for holiday.
Have been pleased with Oneworld so far, but happy to try something new if it makes more sense.
I have family that lives in UK as well as Hong Kong, so reasonably good connections and redemption options are a plus. I have been connecting to LHR hub all my time, so I am used to not living next to a hub and having to connect.

Best Frequent Flyer Program for you?
- what is your definition of best?
Seat comfort, good service, great redemption options for miles and upgrades, great global connectivity
- do you value miles/points (or equivalent) for redemption over gaining status?
I always thought they go in pair - I suppose I would appreciate a solid mix of both...?
- do you fly enough to gain any meaningful status?
I have been able to just qualify for BA Gold for 3 yearsin a row. I expect to maintain the frequency and distance of Travel, however will fly a lot more around North and South America.
- what do you want to use the miles/points for (award, upgrade, hotels, what ever)?
Award flights
- what sort of flight award is of interest (destination, class of travel)?
Asia in Premium Economy/Business
- are you interested in topping up by paying cash for miles?
No
- which airline and where do you normally fly?
Choice is mine, I have been sticking to British Airways so far as it made most sense for my travelling out of UK. As mentioned above, will be based out of Austin, travelling mostly around North and South America, with occasional trips to Europe, Africa, Middle East and Asia.
- are you primarily a leisure or business traveller?
Business
- where do you live?
Moving to Austin, TX
- do you have other ways of earning points in the various programs, e.g. credit cards, shopping, etc,?
I am planning to get a credit card to top up miles and put corporate expenses on. Currently using BA Premium Amex one.

(1) What is most important to you in a FFP?
Upgrades on travel, good award redemption rates, free - discounted lounge access,
(2) How many miles do you usually fly each year & in what class? How many flights/sectors?
I am not sure how does BA Tier Point structure translates to miles. I have been flying mostly Economy and occasionally Premium Economy, and have been able to go just above the Gold tier threshold for past 3 years.
(3) What types of fares do you usually buy ?
Economy (often flexible, semi-flexible fares), Premium Economy
(4) Can you choose your airlines and/or class of service? Airline most flown? Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?
I can choose my airlines. Class of service is restricted to mostly Economy and Premium Economy (Premium for long haul international), which I would do about 4 round trips/year of. Mostly travel for work.
(5) Which routes and airlines do you fly most often
It will be US domestic and South America, with occasional trip to Asia, Europe, Middle East, Africa
(6) What is your home airport?
Austin, TX:
(7) Do you have FFP status of any kind in an airline? What is it? Do you have any miles banked in a FFP?
BA Gold - I have just used most of my miles for pleasure redemption.
(8) Preferred Airlines
Open to suggetions, but would rather stick to one of the bigger alliances with great global redemption choices and connectivity. I would want to be able to treat myself to some of the top tierairlines for occasional international trip or a redemption business class ticket