FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - CBP Screening Passengers in Jetway on Domestic Flight
Old Oct 4, 2019, 1:46 pm
mvoight
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by zoned_post_meridiem
But what is their customs responsibility on a domestic flight, particularly in regard to something like financial instruments? To my knowledge, if I'm foolish enough to carry 20k in large bills in my pocket, I'm perfectly within my right to do so, unless I cross a border.
There no requirement to report negotiable instruments or cash of $10000 or more when flying domestically.
I didn't even notice the requirement for international arrivals didn't included checks until I was bring back a $25,000 check from Norwegian Breakaway into Port of Miami, after a good week of BlackJack
I voluntarily reported it on the Customs forms, and had to go to secondary screening to have them enter it via computer.
The very next cruise into POM, I was asked about having $10K or more, and I was again directed to secondary screening, even though I had said I did not have $10K or more.
So, apparently the moral of that story is I should not have reported the first time, because I doubt they have a dog there that sniffs out single checks.

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
I'm very certain many LEO's would claim taping them doing something illegal is an illegal act. Many times that claim is made while the person recording is on a sidewalk. Sadly, in today's world LEO's are not always seen as having integrity or being above reproach as was more common years ago. Sad state of things but true. Should I be approached on a domestic only flight, on the jetway by an LEO, I would not answer their questions but start asking questions. Starting with "am I being detained"?

Know if you are in a one party or two party consent state before recording audio.. Also, I think a case could be made that once on the jetway a person is no longer in a public area but on private property . Tread carefully
Why would it matter if it was private property? It's not the property of CBP

Last edited by TWA884; Oct 4, 2019 at 6:19 pm Reason: Merge consecutive posts by the same member; please use the multi-quote function. Thank you.