FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - TRIP REPORT: The big Europe (via Africa) trip 2019- TL, QF, JQ, BA, IB, VY, LM
Old Oct 2, 2019, 1:19 am
nancypants

Programs: QF WP
7th July 2019
Melilla

Despite having no idea what’s the gee-oh in Melilla and despite Mr 14C’s caution yesterday, I was quite taken by the views on the taxi ride to the airport
Checked out of the hotel relatively early, skipped breakfast and set off exploring

I soon discovered that Melilla is a hot bed of interesting architecture, primarily Art Nouveau esque. It seems this relates to the upsurge of the port of Melilla as a result of increasing trade in the 1920s or so, the bourgeosie wishing to express their worldliness through the adoption of the new architectural style of Modernisme. Whatever the reason as something of a lover of art nouveau I was quite happy about this

I was quite impressed by how accessible the town centre was, in terms of plaques explaining statues and key buildings. I didn’t see anyone else who looked like a tourist but it struck me as a place that was insanely well set up for tourists when they eventually come…

Moving on to Melilla la Vieja, I wandered past yet another statue I did not know the significance of, and the plaque of which did not really advance my understanding. Looking it up later on I discovered it’s actually the last remaining statue of General Franco in Spain (a claim to fame if ever there was one)

As I was wandering around the old city/fortress walls, a guardia civil car (are they police or customs or what? something along those lines). I was told in no uncertain terms I shouldn’t be walking around taking pictures or with my phone in my hand as it was liable to be pinched. Charming!!

Happily I did not get mugged and was able to have a decent explore of the old town and fortress walls, including the aljibes which I suppose translates as water tanks within the walls and must have been a mighty feat of engineering when built

Getting rather tired and hungry I hit upon the genius idea of walking from Spain to Morocco, via the beach
I stopped at a cafe for pizza but in my fatigued state accidentally ordered an alcohol free beer

The closer I walked to Morocco, the more I genuinely did feel like I was about to get knifed. Not because it’s Morocco, before anyone starts, but more that generic “weirdos hang around border areas” kind of vibe

The queues to transit were phenomenal and I imagine it would be kind of like Gibraltar/La Linea in that there’s a fair number of people who cross the border every day for work. So unfortunately no Morocco entry stamp but interesting nonetheless

Heading back to town, I had just enough time to take in the Melilla sign (in the main square, not quite the Hollywood hills), and then it was time to go to the airport

7th July
IB8277
MLN-AGP
Canary Fly for Iberia operated by Air Nostrum ATR72
Seat 19A

Having learned my lesson from the last time I had selected a seat at the rear of the plane

I had about 30 minutes to kill before going through security so hit up the only airport cafe for a couple of cokes, and the only airport shop for some fridge magnets for my nephew. I ended up getting a real talking to from the shop lady because I bought a total of 5 magnets (for the benefit of family and friends who could go “where?!”) and she was most upset that I had basically cleaned them out of magnets (how outrageous eh, going into a shop and buying things!!)

The plane boarded uneventfully and we were treated to a great view of the border fence on climb out

At Malaga airport, bags from Melilla (and indeed Ceuta) are spat out on a completely separate belt, and you have to go through- customs maybe? Added 5 seconds onto my journey (outrageous!) and on my way

I was staying at the Malaga Airport Campanille hotel which I’ve decided was walkable when I booked it, but when I got there I decided I CBA with that so took a taxi. Now i don’t want to describe this as a scam but the fare was something like EUR12, I handed him a 20 and there was no change forthcoming. Unusual. Unfortunately my Spanish lacks the vocabulary for “where’s my change?!”. So let it slide I had to

The Campanile is pretty poor to be frank but I suppose that’s how it’s meant to be. I was quite starving but their restaurant is apparently not open on Sundays, and again not feeling like a walk I was stuck with snacks and sandwiches for purchase from reception. Given I was up early yet again the next morning I took this as my sign from the gods to have an early night

Last edited by nancypants; Oct 2, 2019 at 2:37 am