FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - SF Bay to DC IAD vs DCA?
View Single Post
Old Sep 29, 2019, 1:05 am
tom911
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Boraxo-

Sounds like the price of the flight isn't a consideration? Often1 said he'd consider IAD if the fare was $200 less than DCA. Do you have a dollar savings that would move you out to Alaska at IAD if the flights from DCA and IAD departed around the same time? If the Alaska flight from DCA was $500RT, but IAD was $300RT, would you make the move to IAD to save the same $200? Not looking at things like lounges or security line but just the airfare.

I usually stay in Crystal City and spent a good 17 years as a top tier AA flyer with DCA as my primary airport in that region, as AA was competitive on price for me and had plenty of flights with connections to the Bay Area. Just haven't found the same with Alaska with DCA always coming in at a higher price for me compared to IAD or BWI. In fact, BWI has had some great sales the last two years with fares in the low $200 range (which probably explains why it's going seasonal - hard to fill those planes in the winter when you have such a sparse DC area presence to begin with and routes like BWI and DCA that only run once a day from SFO).