FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Would a FF tax stop you chasing BAEC status?
Old Sep 27, 2019, 3:43 pm
callum9999

Originally Posted by alvinlwh
Actually it was precisely the fact that I grew up in "such a country" that makes me question what comes out of the major news cooperation. It is refreshing to have open access to alternative news that challenge what is the official line. Now, being a Singaporean, I can also say that on the ground, there are no objections from the people, even in coffeeshop talk, against this third runway, likely you will dismiss it as "irrelevant" with your supremacy stance again anyway.

So what is your definition of "almost any country"? Showed you one and you again dismiss it as irrelevant. How many do you need? Don't have a number in mind so that you can move goal posts as you see fit?

Finally, wow! Climate change was unknown back then?

The increase of 25% CO2 expected by the end of the century therefore corresponds to an increase of 0.6°C in the world temperature – an amount somewhat greater than the climatic variation of recent centuries. – John Sawyer, 1972

December 2003 The transport secretary, Alistair Darling, publishes white paper plans for a third runway and sixth terminal at Heathrow, to be completed within 12 years, but says there may be challenges over noise and air pollution.

So not sure how far "back then" do you want to go, maybe 1066?

You had proven that you do not even know much about the UK, much less other countries, and your gut reaction speaks pretty much of you as a person.
I do dismiss it as irrelevant, because for the MILLIONTH TIME, anecdotes are NOT EVIDENCE. This is not only a fundamental aspect of science, it's a fundamental aspect of critical debate. And for the second time, whether Singaporeans want a third runway or not is wholly irrelevant to this discussion. I've already said that I don't see any major reasons why they'd be objecting it anyway - but if it helps you respond to the half dozen points I've actually made which you're flat out ignoring (obviously because you have no answer to them) then I will categorically state: I'm sure there is no discontent in Singapore about a third runway. I don't think you know what the word "supremacy" means as, using that logic, anyone who supports the rule of law is a supremacist.

You have used language incredibly sloppily so I admit, I did not put enough care in crafting that statement. I also need to accept that was hypocritical of me as it's anecdotal (if you believe that I am wrong and that there was a mainstream movement against man-made global warming back in 1999 then I'll happily either retract that claim or try to find evidence). See my response above to what I actually meant, and I guess I'll be more careful in my use of language (though as you're still ignoring almost every point I make, I don't see this discussion continuing much longer). Your point about the LHR white paper just proves my point though, so thank you for that. Noise pollution has nothing whatsoever to do with climate change and the air pollution the paper cites is nitrogen pollution - i.e. the main concern was on air quality causing health problems and not climate change (otherwise expanding Gatwick/Manchester/Birmingham etc. instead wouldn't make any sense).

I've barely been talking about the UK so how on Earth have I proven that I don't know much about it?