FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Would a FF tax stop you chasing BAEC status?
Old Sep 27, 2019, 7:16 am
alvinlwh

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by callum9999
Well you can't tell me that because, as I've already stated, your anecdotes are pointless and don't mean anything. Not to mention, Singapore is a somewhat oppressive state so I wouldn't expect much open dissent anyway (not that I'm aware of any major reasons why people would be opposed to it?). Maybe you can't grasp that serious discussion needs facts to get anywhere and not "accept what I tell you" precisely because you grew up in such a country?

But no, Singapore building a third runway with ease doesn't really satisfy my desire to see evidence that "almost any country" does it with ease - you've given one example out of 200. I would encourage you to respond to your many other arguments that I've (in my opinion, obviously) disproven instead of trying to prove this one though because yes - it's irrelevant to this discussion! Climate change was not the reason LHR took so long to get a third runway - no-one even knew about it back then...
Actually it was precisely the fact that I grew up in "such a country" that makes me question what comes out of the major news cooperation. It is refreshing to have open access to alternative news that challenge what is the official line. Now, being a Singaporean, I can also say that on the ground, there are no objections from the people, even in coffeeshop talk, against this third runway, likely you will dismiss it as "irrelevant" with your supremacy stance again anyway.

So what is your definition of "almost any country"? Showed you one and you again dismiss it as irrelevant. How many do you need? Don't have a number in mind so that you can move goal posts as you see fit?

Finally, wow! Climate change was unknown back then?

The increase of 25% CO2 expected by the end of the century therefore corresponds to an increase of 0.6°C in the world temperature – an amount somewhat greater than the climatic variation of recent centuries. – John Sawyer, 1972

December 2003 The transport secretary, Alistair Darling, publishes white paper plans for a third runway and sixth terminal at Heathrow, to be completed within 12 years, but says there may be challenges over noise and air pollution.

So not sure how far "back then" do you want to go, maybe 1066?

Originally Posted by callum9999
I don't think I'm too qualified to state what should happen in those remote islands as my gut reaction is "don't live there if you can't pay to regularly fly to the mainland", which I don't think is a particularly fair thing to say.
You had proven that you do not even know much about the UK, much less other countries, and your gut reaction speaks pretty much of you as a person.