FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Would a FF tax stop you chasing BAEC status?
Old Sep 27, 2019, 5:06 am
alvinlwh

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by hfly
And this is a nicely important point, because if all of china are to reach anything near Hong Kong levels, then we would be talking Chinese numbers 30 or 40 times the UK and you would be happy because you could Drone on about some sort of Gini coefficient Gdp parity.

To say the Chinese are investing in green technologies does not mean what you think it means....they would never dream of instituting anything that would hinder economic growth more penalize people from living "better" lives, in fact it is because their standards have constantly been raising that allows the party to survive.

So while you cheer on your own luddites with made up names who write dubious manifestos that are promoted and embraced by the Guardian, that would "punish" your perceived "haves" and even if implemented would have absolutely little or no effect on improving the environment, every one else will eat your lunch.
You are absolutely right.

Not "if" but "when", just take a look at the number of 737 Max orders placed by China and the impact the flying ban has on Boeing.

The CCCP will never do anything to undermine the goal of the Chinese people, which is to lift themselves out and up of whatever social class they are in now. Social class in China is measured by wealth (money) and material (latest branded goods). The CCCP will make whatever soundbites that sounds good for the Western world, but in reality, a typical Chinese person's thinking process will be:

Is it going to do:
1. me any good?
2. my family any good?
3. my country any good?
4, the world any good?

So in your electric example, it was the leaders in government will be thinking "What good will it do me?" and the answer is "It makes me look good to the country that I am doing something to improve their quality of life and therefore lifting my standing in the eyes of the country.". The world does not even come close to consideration.

To sidetrack a bit, but to reinforce the above point, it is better to kill someone than to injure someone with a vehicle in China, as if the person is only injured, the driver will be responsible for all future medical care costs. Therefore, it is actually not uncommon for drivers to back up over a victim to make sure they are dead. That way, the driver will only be responsible for the funeral cost plus any once off payment of "blood" money.

Finally, any claims or promise made by the Chinese Government is practically enforceable at the personal level. China is a country that runs on corruption and nepotism. Got a deep enough pocket and/or the right connections? You can get away with anything. Anyone with a knowledge of how things really works in China will know this.