FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Big UPGRADE Thread – all you need to know about AY upgrades
Old Sep 25, 2019, 10:57 am
Jainzar

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Originally Posted by Eyrie
I don't think anyone has quoted the new upgrade system for Basic/Silver. This is what my September newsletter said:

"UUTTA: BUSINESSLUOKAN-KOROTUKSET HELPOSTI VERKOSTA

Voit hallinnoida businessluokan-korotuksia lokakuusta lähtien helposti uudessa verkkopalvelussamme. Businessluokan-korotuksia voi ostaa debit- tai luottokortilla, Finnair Plus pisteillä tai korotusedulla. Kun maksat pisteillä tai korotusedulla, korotusten saatavuuden tarkistaminen sekä varaus onnistuvat samasta paikasta. Basic- ja Silver-jäsenet voivat varata businessluokan-korotuksen 59 päivää ennen lennon lähtöä. Mikäli saatavuutta ei ole, voit jäädä jonotuslistalle. Jonotuslistalle päästyäsi ilmoitamme sinulle korotuksen tilasta aikaisintaan kahta kuukautta ja viimeistään 37 tuntia ennen lentoasi. Lisää tietoa tulossa pian."

So Basic/Silver members can also waitlist, starting from 59 days before departure, and they will notify 2 months to 37h before departure. I was quite surprised about this, as I assumed they would like to keep the waitlist as a status perk (justifiably, in my opinion, even though I'm a lowly Basic!). Not sure how they would rank a Gold member's waitlist, say, 40 days before departure in comparison to a Basic waitlisting 50 days before. Will the Basic always end up in the back of the queue, or can an early bird Basic score a waitlisted upgrade before a more last minute Gold?
If they do the first upgrades from the waitlist at T-60, then Silver and Basic members will miss that round.