FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 100 Queen's Gate Hotel London, Curio Collection by Hilton {GBR} (was DoubleTree)
Old Sep 25, 2019, 6:57 am
wantan

Programs: Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Accor Gold, OW Emerald, SIXT Diamond
Just check-ed out from my stay and first of all :

AVOID ROOMS with 10xx categorised as "Queens Gate Luxury Queen Room" , these are below ground and face the road. So you have road noise without the view. OLCI at this hotel doesn't come with a "layout view" which was a first for me so it impossible to know where the rooms are located if you're a first timer.

The hotel is designed to be quirky and the location is excellent with many eateries (fitting every budget) , grocers (Tesco Express, Little Waitrose) , and South Kensington station within 1-2 minutes walk.

I arrived at 8am (via Piccadilly line from Heathrow) and was able to check-in immediately which was a great perk coming from a 13h flight. OLCI on check-in day showed I had already been upgraded from lowest category Mews Room to "Queen Gate Luxury Queen Room". I did email the hotel 2 days before but received no reply until after I check-ed in (which thankfully reflected that I had check-ed in early and not just a template). Receptionist walked me to the lift, and this is where I learn room 10xx are underground.

Gold / Diamond benefit is a buy 1 main meal, free 1 main meal.

Benefit letter

Room rates on the day

Above just to show how confusing it is to select a room here, as there seems to be a Note despite rooms being of the same category.

So this is the room I received :

Queens Gate Luxury Queen Room

Layout Of Level 10xx (Underground)

very shallow cupboard

Now I was thankful for this room, left my luggage and left to explore. Back by 4pm exhausted and looked forward to a nap before a 7pm meetup. I'm not a light sleeper and have no problems sleeping on long haul economy etc but this room was just impossible to sleep in due to the noise.You get not just the road noise, but it is also directly below the lift lobby and the rooms themselves are not very sound proof. It also seems the staff office is immediately outside the window and you have the access door slamming as staff visit the public toilets located directly opposite the room.

After an hour of trying, requested for a change of room. Feedback was that no rooms were available (I checked beforehand and every category was showing). Told reception I would take any room as along as it's quiet and got the lowest caterogry room, (Mews Room) which to be fair was the initial category I had booked in. These rooms face the back of the building and the one I received on the highest floor was miles better as a room to sleep in than the first room despite the price difference.

An interesting note, in the room description the Luxury room refers to upgraded amenities, which mean a toothbrush and shoe polish. The fridge had complimentary soft drinks + water while in Mews room it was only Water. There was supposed to be some attraction tickets included in the Luxury rooms as well (website description) but I did not recieve and was not informed of this perk.

The toilet fittings are also different between Luxury room but nothing that makes a difference. The Luxury room had a cool shower control which was mentioned in the review above but overall hot water and water pressure was good.

During my 1 night stay, I had an actual fire alarm at 8am (due to workman) and due to this, water supply was cut which was only restored before noon.

Housekeeping also needs be improved, as in both rooms they there dead bugs by the window. Hair in the toilets and some of the shampoo bottles were not facing the right direction (minor point, but still a small touch). Housekeeping would also knock once then enter the room immediately. Not even enough time to get up from the bed ! And this is with the DnD sign on the door ...

So overall, definitely happy with the early check-in but if the hotel doesn't sort out it's noise and housekeeping issues, it'll be a hard property to recommend despite the location.