FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Ambassador not getting an upgrade
View Single Post
Old Sep 24, 2019, 11:18 pm
scubaccr

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Alas new for this year 2019, regards lack of the Guaranteed 1cat Amb upgrade or 2cat RA upgrade (assuming better room is not an erxcluded suite) is a highly unsatisfactory 10k ihg points (insult if expect suite upgrade) compensation PER STAY.

In effect the Amb +1cat guaranteed upgrade has for 2019 onwards become in stead a "If Space available guaranteed upgrade" , and maybe not even that ifones upgrade is multiple nights to a suite that hotel hopes to still sell.

Since this 10k is now part of Amb t+c guaranteed ugrade spiel terms, if the IC won't reduce room rate by 1cat (or you booked base room) you the guest can no longer legally refuse the offered room, walk and get refunded, either voluntearily refunded by hotel or charge back as one could in previous years. Beware chargeing back falsely in this scenario can result in your CC provider cancelling your account/card

Pre 2019 was possible even to negotiate/force unwilling IC to reduce room rate by to the rate of 1cat below room given ... even then historically the usd70-150/night 1cat difference 30days out become less than usd10-75/night or even costs more during very high occupancy, as managers try use original earlier thus low booked rate versus full on the checkin day flex rate difference, ( unluckily for hotels i usually screenshot -1cat rate when i book purely for these rare ocasions).
This year although one can ask/suggest this solution, the IC can as per 2019s Amb t+c just give 10k points (worth usd60) and not agree to adjust rates.

SO..... I now for 2019 book separate nights for all my multinight hotel stays, so if not upgraded for full stay on arrival, I can walk away after 1night paying for 1night only and cancelling at checkin the remaining nights. A very powerful argument in guests favour and hopefully focuses hotel to play fair or lose out with vacant room for the net 2/3/4 nights. For 2019 I have yet to have missed out on my IC guaranteed upgrade, and have also to be fair had higher upgrades too.
(To be fair to all IC's I only needed to do this once , as Amb/RA at IC Melboune 9nights during AusTennis Open, after saying at checkin thats fine cancel nights 2-9, I can book a much better Marriott room (suite) and save still lots of $$$, I suddenly got my better rooms)

Last edited by scubaccr; Sep 24, 2019 at 11:28 pm