FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa REVIEW - MASTER THREAD
Old Aug 27, 2004, 11:13 pm
Weatherboy

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Maui Staff

I was at this property a few weeks ago and also couldn't check-in until after 3pm. However, I found all the front desk staff that worked with me to be very friendly and warm. And because of the delayed check-in, they did upgrade my breakfast coupons to full breakfast...and gave me 4 coupon cards... even though I was a party of 1. (Other friends/family were in the area and I let them dine with me the mornings I was there.)

I did get a nice suite... but even with Diamond status, wasn't able to get RC access. On my last trip there last fall I did get RC access and a standard Deluxe Oceanview room on the top floor in the Atrium tower. Comparing/contrasting both stays, I'd probably take a suite over the RC floor view/access. Other than a few moments on the balcony, you really don't get too much time to enjoy the view there... most of your time is spent on the beach or elsewhere on the resort grounds. While the RC access was nice on my last visit, I think I was only able to drop in 1x during the evening for their reception; as such, I find the breakfast route (even with just continental offerings) a better "value" than the RC option. I guess if you did nothing but stay at the Maui and its grounds, the RC access could come in handy... but if you're out and about and enjoying all that Maui has to offer, you really won't be lingering around your room and hanging out in the RC.

I visit the Hawaiian Islands very frequently. While I enjoy the service, staff, and accomodations of this Hyatt property, I'm beginning to dislike the island of Maui. The traffic is getting unreal (2-3 hours to drive from OGG to the Hyatt!) as are the crouds on the beach and surrounding area (like Whaler's Village.) When I first went to Maui about 10-15 years ago, Kaanapali Beach was really a luxurious area with cream-of-the crop hotels and guests...and a true, authentic Hawaiian feel. On this recent trip, I felt like I was more at a bustling southern California resort with limited Hawaiian flavor... and the crouds were more in line with the crouds you'd see at the Jersey shore.

I wish Hyatt would explore properties on the other islands... especially on Lanai and Hawaii.