FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Jerusalem Airbnb vs 4-5 * hotel for overall safely
Old Sep 24, 2019, 7:30 am
M60_to_LGA

Programs: AA GLD, AC
Originally Posted by fransknorge
By dodgy I meant pickpockets activity. I also read that in this part a lot of shops and places closes at 6 PM.
I have never been to Jerusalem (been to Tel-Aviv and loved it) and I am trying to choose between 2 hotels.
Ah, ok - that gives me a better idea of what you're asking.

East Jerusalem is definitely not where you go if you want late-night activity. It's very much a traditional Arab place. You'll probably find restaurants and hookah bars open later, but if you're looking for a place where you can stroll around at 8-9pm, pop into some shops, grab a drink or an ice cream or whatever - then stay downtown or elsewhere in West Jerusalem.

Also, keep in mind that Jerusalem could not be more different than Tel Aviv. I just got back from Israel after having not been there for several years, and I was stunned how Jerusalem has become more religious than I remembered it. It increasingly resembles a shtetl in a lot of places. It's also a lot poorer than Tel Aviv (which is related).