FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Jerusalem Airbnb vs 4-5 * hotel for overall safely
Old Sep 23, 2019, 3:46 pm
M60_to_LGA

Programs: AA GLD, AC
Originally Posted by fransknorge
Rather than creating a new thread: does people have experience with the area around the National Hotel, on E-Zahra Street ? It is in East Jerusalem, 500 meters north of Herod’s gate. Is it dodgy at night or just an impression ? Also is there restaurants around open in the evening ?
What do you mean by "dodgy"? As a tourist, I'd think you'd face few risks to your personal safety in the area, but East Jerusalem is very much a Muslim/Arab place, meaning you're far likelier to, say, be hounded by people trying to sell you stuff than you would be downtown.

I don't know that hotel specifically, but I can tell you that the area between there and Damascus Gate is extremely busy, with lots of restaurants and shops (and other hotels - many of them quite pricey!). The Old City also has a lot of activity. One benefit of the location is that you can actually find places to eat on Shabbat, when most of West Jerusalem shuts down. Although even then, the walk from downtown to, say, the Christian Quarter isn't too long.