FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Don’t drink the (on board potable) water
Old Sep 20, 2019, 10:33 am
fezzington

Programs: Hyatt Globalist | Jumpseat Platinum
Originally Posted by SFO_LOW_CLOUDS
On a UA flight now. Just asked the FA if they used the airplane potable water for coffee and tea. She said yes.
All mainline aircraft use potable water for coffee, tea, galley spigots, and the sinks. Some fleets use a bit to flush the toilets as well.

Originally Posted by catocony
1) I've seen FAs refill empty water bottles from the galley tap.
1) They're not supposed to, but if there's no more bottled water...

Originally Posted by scracer14
Making coffee essentially boils the water, doesn't this eliminate bacteria risk?

I personally have not gotten sick from on board coffee (that I know of). Interesting that you have a forum of people who would probably tell someone who is afraid to fly, "Its less safe to drive to the airport than to fly." Who are afraid to drink on-board water...
It's not anywhere near boiling, and iirc, the water temperature was lowered in some of the recent models of coffee makers (but I might be making that up in my head. it's been a long day.) Maybe I'll grab a food thermometer before my next trip...

But also, the pots themselves can often times be dirty... you can sterilize water but if you put it into a dirty pot to serve from...

Originally Posted by Chiro1979
Honestly I don’t worry about this stuff. If it was really an issue, millions of people would be falling ill on a daily basis. The way I look at it, unless we live in a sterile bubble, we are all going to ingest bacteria from all the various surfaces we touch, air we breathe, etc. That’s what the immune system is for. In fact, by exposing our immune system to various pathogens, we are really just helping to strengthen it! That’s what I shall tell myself next time I have the coffee!!!
I don't drink the coffee or tea, I avoid the lavs when I can, and NEVER go barefoot onboard. I'm still good for ~3-4 sick calls per year (I was never a sickly person before...). Maybe you're onto something, science be damned...