FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - No seat assignment due to disability?
View Single Post
Old Sep 20, 2019, 8:31 am
sonora

Programs: AA LT Plat
Originally Posted by navylad
Thanks for posting and hopefully we can provide you with some useful information. To answer your question in your previous post, no the Admirals’ Club are unable to be able to do anything with medical requests on another airline.

As I understand it, you have two PNRs thatbyou have TCPed, but, ignoring the medical issue for a moment, have insufficient status to extend your status entitled free seat selection to the other party.

The other party has a medical condition requiring the use of an oxygen concentrator during the flight. You would like them sat next to you, and further you’d like both your seats tonbe UD on the 747.

Sorry if I have any of the details wrong.

As I understand it, BA are required to make reasonable adjustments for medical conditions. They publish that seats will be assigned for those with medical conditions in suitable seats. My experience, having booked for my parents with my mum’s mobility issues is this usually goes further and you can select most seats within the cabin of travel, although obvious not all seats (we can for example book exit row seats for obvious reasons).

This benefit understand is extended to all members on the booking, but AFAIK, is not extended to a second booking even if TCP has been completed unless there is a GCh (a publisher benefit or the status).

However, if I understand it right, you have status and your partner has the medical condition which should, independently, facilitate you able to book two seats independently that are together on the two bookings (obviously within the suitable published status seat availability timelines).

Equally I understand form on here that there are in particular restrictions on those with some medical conditions on the UD 747 due to the SOP in the event of a water evacuation. This may well be the reason they haven’t allowed you to select UD seats together.

Use of equipment in flight as I understand it will require the clearance and input of the medical team at BA, normal customer service are unlikely to be able to do much without their authority. I would speak to them, details already produced on this thread and are available on the BA website, but, and I hope I’m wrong, you may need to sit on the LD if you wish to sit together.

Thanks.

My husband does not have any conditions that would disqualify him from an exit row. He has emphysema, and needs supplemental oxygen at altitude. We found out a few flights ago on BA that they have this ability to hook him to the airplane oxygen-who knew?-and that works well on long flights as it conserves battery life in the Portable oxygen concentrators that we fly with. We actually fly with 2, we like redundancy! In this case we have 3 legs, and have seat assignments together on the 1st leg from BCN to LHR, and the 3rd leg which is on AA from PHL to STL. He will use the oxygen concentrators on those legs.

We have already gone through the process of getting the oxygen concentrators approved, etc.

I am not wedded to being on the UD although we do like it there. They have not offered to move me downstairs and then assign him next to me. They have just said that he can't get his seat assignment until we get to the airport.

Yesterday we spoke to an agent who said the pcmu desk would assign his seat, so we emailed them. They emailed back saying that they don't assign seats and we would have to wait for the seating team to get back with us. We were also told this last May.

What are the published status seat availability timelines?

I appreciate the help.