FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - "Extra person" charges, especially on award stays
Old Sep 18, 2019, 8:40 pm
MSPeconomist
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Katherine Ferris
Thanks for posting your experience! I just went through this tonight. We are staying at the Dolphin next week. I booked our stay months ago and paid it in full as it was an Advance Purchase rate. At the time of booking, I had listed 3 people in the room (2 adults and 1 child - 12 years old). The total was $1020 and there was no extra person fee listed. We linked our reservation to MDE and booked our dining and FP just fine.

This evening, I went online to confirm the reservation and I saw that an extra person fee of $100 was showing up now with a total for the stay listed as $1132. We were just there in May with our son and we hadn't been charged for him then, so I called the member support line. The first person I spoke with claimed it was a new policy as of 8/13/2019. She transferred me to a manager who looked up the Dolphin and claimed that this hotel charges for "every heartbeat in the room". I mentioned that my room payment is non-refundable and they can't just add on a new fee without giving me the option of canceling the room. He then escalated it with the hotel and told me I would hear back in 7-10 business days.

Less than an hour later, I got a call directly from Guest Services at the Swan/Dolphin apologizing for the miscommunication and she said that the system was showing my reservations as 3 adults and that is why the fee was added. She said she would make a note in my reservation that it was 2 adults and 1 child and that children are NOT charged an extra person fee at the Dolphin. She was very nice and very apologetic about this and I feel so much better!
How old is your "child" at the time of the current stay and also at the time of the previous stay? Various properties define the age range of children differently for occupancy rules and payments.