FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Advice re: earning KF miles or applying to other airline?
Old Sep 16, 2019, 10:08 pm
smiles33

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
To me would be fard better to credit SQ flight to you existing UA freq flyer programs. The airline you fly and the airline ffp you credit ff to does not need to be the same.

Having multiple ffp’s with low balances is never a good idea. You may never get enough ff miles/points to be of use before they expire. Adding frequent miles in a ff program that you can use, are worth more than ff miles in an orphan ffp that you will never use, even if the earning rate is nominally better. FFP’s are for the short to medium term.

Be mindful of expiry Miles/Points that Do and Don't Expire. Click to open the wiki.
SQ have a 3 year hard expiry: use them or loose them
Yes, this is very good advice! Thanks for the link, as I didn't realize it was a 3 year hard expiration date.

Originally Posted by nmpls
I flew PE on SQ recently, and it was pretty solid as a PE product if you're shopping hard product (the service was also great, the food was Y), but I'd not chose it over any *A J that flys to SIN TPAC if cost isn't an issue. I would strongly recommend figuring on a 777-300 route (which means LAX-NRT-SIN/SFO-HKG-SIN from California) over an a350 route as the hard product is quite a bit better if you're going to fly SQ PE. (I've heard the a380 is like the 777 but maybe a touch wider, but no experience, and also that the a350 ULR (which does fly out of LAX, i think) might be better than the like a350, but I dunno.

Also, given your flight patterns and that UA rewards don't expire, I would credit them there. SQ miles do expire after 3 years.
Thanks for the advice re: SQ PE. I'm willing to spend $10K or so to fly the 4 of us to Singapore but had hoped to use miles or Chase UR points to upgrade to J. I just don't think I can stomach paying cash for 4 J seats so it may be PE after all. Yes, I have read 777-300 is better than A350, but I really hate connections. It stresses me out just thinking of the possibility of missing a connection, not to mention the extra time compared to a direct nonstop. So I'm torn and still haven't purchased the tickets yet.

Originally Posted by RTWFF
SQ is well-known as a stingy airline when it comes to releasing Business or First seats to any other frequent flyer partner
Yes, I read that, too, so I figured our United miles are useless trying to get to Singapore (unless we want a regular economy seat for that 17 hour flight--shudder!).

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Something to keep in mind is that SQ miles expire based on the date they were earned, regardless of any activity in the SQ account in the intervening time. This makes it very difficult for anyone who doesn't earn SQ miles quickly to use the miles that are credited to SQ.
I think this nails it--there's no way we'll accrue more SQ miles to reach the minimum threshold so I'll just keep it to UA.

Thanks all!