FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - United Airlines Kicks Elderly Professor Couple Off Late-Night Flight
Old Sep 16, 2019, 8:25 pm
TravelLawyer

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
Originally Posted by jsloan
Huh. Somehow, I've never seen a red mist when I've been asked to move. And, yes, I've been asked to give up better seats for worse ones.

I've also had my seat assignment changed after I had already printed out a boarding pass, both for better (upgrades) and worse (moved out of the exit row), which is why I stated earlier that a boarding pass proves nothing.

Seat assignments are not guaranteed. Sometimes that works in your favor, as somebody else loses a prime seat and you get it. Sometimes, it works against you. Either way, everyone gets to the destination at the same time.
I have flown on many airlines (was formerly UA 1p or 2p for many years pre-merger) and have never “lost” my seat assignment without a reason. Typically on AA when they have aircraft changes. Are you saying you commonly lose your seat on UA for worse ones without a reason? Upgrades are a different reason altogether and those make sense. I’m just confused why non-upgrade lost seat assignments are so common for you.