FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Vietnam to US mistake fare discussion - 2019 Cathay New Year's gift
Old Sep 16, 2019, 6:30 pm
C-FMWQ

Programs: AC E50K
Originally Posted by jagmeets
Good Luck! Just be firm, yet polite and they should reinstate, unless the flight is being cancelled and they’re working through reservations gradually.
JOC, how do you know that the original flight was oversold by 1?
Thats helpful and makes me feel better! Thank you! So I was on one of the YVR flights with service reductions and I knew my flight from YVR-HKG was going to cancel so I looked at my options and noticed the KA flight I’m on wasn’t listed in business. Looking at availability it was zeroed out in business class so I called CX to try and see if they would move to the flights I wanted (earlier YVR-HKG and same HKG-HAN) but the agent muttered that the something about business class being -1. I don’t know for certain if that means it’s oversold though. Ironically, the reason I called in was so that this wouldn’t happen since I had a gut feeling it would. Funny enough, the day after I called they cancelled my flight in the system and I was rebooked onto the flights I wanted and I confirmed that on the CX website. I was actually really happy with how it all just worked out...until Monday morning .

A bit of an update. I called the US number this morning and the agent was pretty sympathetic but sounded like she didn’t have much power to fix it because there were no seats available. FWIW I got them to link me and my buddies ticket, something I should’ve done when we originally booked the tickets. She said they would have to ask Hong Kong to place me back onto the original flight. My fear here is Hong Kong knows this is a mistake fare and will tell me to pound sand. FWIW the morning flight I’m on looks full at the moment too so I don’t think they can even get my friend onto it. It sorta sounded like they would place me on standby for the flight so I’m hoping they’ll be able to get back to me in the morning. Otherwise, what would my options be if they refuse to put me back on the flight I booked? There is a VN flight 3 hours before which I would be ok with taking as a last resort so long as they move my friend onto that flight for free. Otherwise is standing firm calling this an IDB the best bet here (seeing as they confirmed the move without consulting me)?

Thanks

Last edited by C-FMWQ; Sep 16, 2019 at 6:42 pm