FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Time to transfer AX UK MR points to Marriott?
Old Sep 16, 2019, 3:44 pm
OxfordBlue

Programs: BA Executive Club, AZ, VS, AA, UA
Originally Posted by j2simpso
Correct me if I'm wrong here but I think UA is one of the transfer partners for AmEx USA (and it's a 1:1 transfer)? Couldn't OP just transfer his MR points to an AmEx US MR account (if he has one) then transfer on to MilagePlus? In any event, IIRC AmEx UK transfers 1:1 to either SQ and SK both of which would then allow you to redeem towards a *A flight (including UA).

As a side note, you should definitely try to get a Canadian AmEx account. If you can pull it off, AmEx can transfer your UK points at the current exchange rate of 1 UK MR= 1.60 CA AmEX points. Those points could the be transferred to Aeroplan which allows you can redeem on any number of *A airlines. Aeroplan also gives you free stopovers on award redemptions meaning you could do something like LHR > FCO > ATH > LHR for the same number of points as a LHR > ATH roundtrip.

Safe Travels,

James
James, I have no way of getting US or Canadian cards - never lived there, no citizenships or residency, or credit footprint. It pains me, because the offers on credit cards are so much better..

In any case, I need to get mileage specifically on UA, as I’m redeeming on EI - and none of the programs I can transfer UK MR points to are partnered with EI for redemption. Hence the convoluted route.