FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Travelling the world for 6 months... My sabbatical leave experience
Old Sep 16, 2019, 12:06 pm
palmanfr

Programs: AF/KL Plat, BA Gold, A3 Gold, IHG Diamond, MR Gold, HH Diamond, ALL Platinum
Kind of a mileage run... with a stopover ! Part 1 (UL Business class A321neo)

Although the new terminal looks very nice, the old terminal 2 is quite the opposite, the escalators were not working, and the signage was pretty poor… As usual in Indonesian airports, a passenger screening was in place before entering the check-in area, except that this time, the screening also required to empty all pockets, jackets and belts (not always the case for primary screening).

Not fun when you have to carry a heavy piece of luggage !

I found CGK Terminal 2 a bit complicated to navigate

The check-in area for SriLankan was not yet open when I arrived at 11:15, so I had to wait something like 15 minutes before an agent staffed the business class counter. Surprisingly, the economy class desks opened almost when I arrived, but several passengers were already queuing there.

UL check-in desks CGK

Desperately waiting for someone :-)

Emigration area was empty and the exit procedure took no time.

Emigration CGK T2

Indonesia : You need to buy some ink !

Right after a long alley of shops and restaurants was present and eventually the lounges and the security screening area were at the end of the building (the security clearance is right before the boarding gate)

CGK T2

Sri Lankan uses the Pura Indah business lounge in CGK, which is, like the premier lounge next to it, also a Priority Pass lounge.

Lounges of CGK T2

I was only able to access the Business class section of the Pura Indah lounge, it is clearly not the fanciest ever, but it did the job during the hour of wait or so. The buffet was a bit cheap and it would not be a luxury to do a few renovations in there. Restrooms were located within the lounge (lots of renovation to do in there too. I loved the plastic bucket under the sink to collect water from the leaking evacuation pipe). There was one shower available, and the shower room was actually the only with a working toilet…

Pura Indah lounge CGK T2

Sweets selection

Cold bites

Hot buffet

Small lunch

This lounge needs some renovation...

... And certainly some maintenance too !

I stayed there about an hour, working on my computer as the wifi was working ok.

I then decided to visit the other lounge, the Premium lounge, using my Priority Pass card.

Although I stayed less time in this lounge than the previous one, I found it a more pleasant place to wait. The buffet was better catered, although I did not try much of it. The place also seemed lighter and larger.

Premium lounge CGK T2

I've found the buffet in that lounge better catered than the previous one

Staffed bar

A bar was also available.

Since security is cleared at the gate in CGK T2, I went there about 50 minute the scheduled departure time and queued about 5 minutes before clearing it. A priority lane was available for families, elderly and persons with disability but not for frequent flyers or premium passengers

I hate having to clear security at the gate !

It appeared that a test was ongoing at the security gate when I cleared it as a « fake passenger » (an undercover security employee I believe) attempted to bring something suspicious in his luggage, and the employee in charge of screening should select the baggage for secondary inspection. I think that test somehow failed as I was overhearing the senior employee explaining to the tested employee what happened and what she should have noticed on the screen. (they were talking in English surprisingly).

Although one jet bridge only was in operation, the boarding gate was splitted into two different areas, with business class waiting zone and economy rows until 20 on the left side and the rest of the economy class on the right side. About 10 minutes later, the boarding started…

Choose your side !

Waiting area for the front side of the plane

CX Boeing 777-300

Loading frozen goods ?

First time on UL !

SriLankan Airlines UL365 - December 19th 2018
Jakarta Intl CGK - 14:25
Colombo Intl CMB - 17:30
Airbus A321neo - 4R-ANE - Seat 01A, Window seat, Bulkhead, Business class.

Although I was disappointed that Sri Lankan decided to swap the aircraft a few months before departure from a wide body Airbus 330-200 to this single aisle A321, I was happy to see that it was a very recent aircraft, in the neo version. The business class seat was a classic, but comfortable recliner and made of blue-colored leather with sides colored in brown. Each seat featured its own IFE screen with a USB port on it and a 220V power socket below the arm rest console.

UL Airbus 321neo row 1

Legroom seat 1A

Seat and remote controls

Piper Heidseck to start !

Cheers !

Welcome aboard

A pair of socks and an eye shades was available in the seat pocket, together with the menu for today’s lunch. The purser, a pretty big man in his late 40s offered everyone a beverage before departure and I opted for the bubbly option.
Very soon afterwards, a crew member came to take the lunch order, as 4 different options were offered, and I opted for the seafood noodles.

Menu Sri Lankan Business class CGK-CMB

Garuda Airbus 330

China Airlines Airbus 350-900

Nicely waiting in line...

After quite a long taxi of 15 min or so, with some nice plane spotting during that time. This flight was quite full in both cabins and I started to socialize a bit with my seat mate, an Indian business man working as a director for a local pharmaceutical company and who was heading back home.
We finally took off at 15.15.

View over Java

Cashews and white Bordeaux

Soon after take off, another drink was poured and I opted for a glass of white Bordeaux, which came with some cashews. I have to say that the crew on that flight was not cheap with the drinks and the glasses of the entire cabin were rarely empty…

The lunch was served soon afterwards and was quite tasty and not too spicy.

Seafood noodles

Followed by some coffee...

This aircraft was equipped with Wifi, and it was quite pricey : 4 USD for 20 minutes, 8 USD for one hour and 15 USD for 3 hours. I did not try to use it.

During this sabbatical leave, I appreciated spending my time onboard working a bit on my laptop, writing for the website or this FT trip report and sort out pictures, especially on day flights. This time was no different and I decided to transfer some pictures after lunch. During a meal onboard, I usually enjoy watching a movie or an episode of some series.
My IFE was quite responsive although the one of my seat mate was having constant issues, crashing randomly. We initially thought that it was due to a bad connection in the remote controller and as I was trying to help him removing the controller from its holder, I accidentally dumped some white wine on my macbook ! Although I was pretty quick to sponge most of the liquid out, I noticed a few minutes later as I was slowly running out of battery that the only USB-C port on the upper left side of the computer was no longer working, making any recharge or document transfer impossible ! Fortunately for me, I have insurances and extra warranty for those types of accidents and I managed to get a new laptop the following week when I was back in France. I just made sure to transfer by email and into my NAS at home all the important documents I had and did not saved during the last backup a couple days before as soon as I reached my hotel in Colombo…

Which means that I was able to browse the IFE on this flight… and after a short power nap, we were soon to arrive in Sri Lanka.

I was intrigued by this and sent an email to enquire about prices and availability... But looks like this was very popular as my email got bounced back !

So IFE it is !

Traveller beware...

I also discussed a bit with the two crew members serving the business cabin in the galley during my flight and they were quite friendly. I asked them if they had any recommendations on what to visit during a 2 day stay in Colombo, as it was my first time in the country. They basically were not able to reply, stating that there was pretty much nothing to do in Colombo… Not really the best ambassadors of their country to say the least !

As we were approaching Colombo, the immigration cards were distributed.

I love those fluffy clouds !

Approaching CMB

We landed shortly ahead of schedule and taxied to an apron position where we disembarked by bus.

Welcome in CMB

Bus disembarking

The terminal was pretty chaotic with ver big lines for immigration and basically no organization at all. No staff was present to direct arriving passengers. There was some sort of waiting queue for immigration and also a queue for the visa office. I was not sure where to begin so I queued towards the immigration counters and the exit.

At the time of my visit, back last December, Sri Lanka was requiring most visitors, including European tourists like me, to apply and pay for an Electronic Travel Authorization. I remember this was quite pricey and I was not so keen in paying 40 or 50 dollars for 2 day stopover. Fortunately, it was also possible to get a transit ETA online, and free of charge. The eligibility criteria was quite strict though, as you had to be in international transit for 48 hours maximum and both segments had to be on the same ticket. This was my case and I therefore applied for this transit ETA a month before this trip.
Nowadays, and in view of developing the tourism following the terrible terrorist attacks of last April, I read that Sri Lanka will soon ease their immigration procedures for tourists and most of the western passports would no longer require to apply (and pay) for an ETA in advance.

After one hour wait, I finally reached a friendly immigration officer, and after presenting a copy from my expedia reservation showing two UL segments two days from each other, he nicely issued a nice stamp and a transit sticker, allowing me to enter Sri Lanka for 48 hours exactly…

Where does the queue starts ??

I guess here...

At least the stamp was well done !

Colombo airport is an interesting place when it comes to duty free shopping. While some airports have arrival duty free with the usual perfumes, cosmetics, chocolates and booze, in CMB, you can buy a flat screen TV, a fridge and a washing machine. I’ve found this interesting enough to ask some Sri Lankan people I met during my stopover why was that and they told me that basically, if a Sri Lankan national works abroad for long enough, the person coming back home could buy home appliances exempted to importation and sales taxes, hence the shopping mall right after the immigration counters !

Interesting duty free shopping !

By the time I reached the luggage carousel; my bag was already there and I proceeded immediately towards the exit where I changed a bit of money and waited for my uber ride.
I arrived at my hotel, the Fairway Colombo located in the financial district of Colombo after a 30 min ride. Always interesting to me to see some Christmas decorations while it’s 35 degC outside !

Arrivals in CMB, i recommend to use the post office as a pickup point for your Uber ride

Colombo by night !

Colombo Christmas market...