FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Kirby says UA has to compete on quality
View Single Post
Old Sep 15, 2019, 11:50 pm
spin88

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by transportprof
There must be an economic downturn coming. That's when US airlines start focusing on the quality of their services.
Yes, there is an economic downturn coming, and that may cause UA to want to fix some of these things (if Kirby is serious) now, before they have the savvy analysis baying at them to cut costs when their profits slide. But if Kirby is saying this, its because their metrics internally are saying what people on this board have been saying for 6+ years of "changes you will like" which is that service quality impacts buying decisions. I argued that cutting IFE while Delta was rolling out screens on every plane (including retrofitting the 717s with sceens) would be a long term competitive disadvange. Ditto the micro mini-bathrooms (24" of squeeze) and aweful seats.

Having just flown SFO-SEA on the DL A220 and then UA back on an A319, I can tell you that having screens and seats that don't cut off leaving your legs dangling definitely will drive my buying decision. Ditto avoiding the seats/bathrooms on the Dark 739s UA flies. I was willing to slightly modify my schedule, and next four trips are all on DL.

Originally Posted by j2simpso
I completely agree with Kirby here and here's to hoping he's genuine with the comments he's making. I suspect this is the case given the recent enhancements DL has made to their services over time putting UA in the uncomfortable spot of being worse than DL but not so bad as AA (i.e. no competitive advantage). Arguably the first thing that needs improvements are the United Clubs, they are a sorry shell of their former self. No showers, limited food and beverage options (i.e. I'm lucky if I can get cheese and crackers), dated furniture. They make the club so exclusive to get into by limiting access to elites traveling internationally, or UA Club members flying *A yet don't offer the goods travellers need.
My parents take 3-4 trips a year in F/J. They just took DL for the first time via ATL, and were pleasantly surprised. Said the Delta lounges were much, much better than UAs, or AAs, and they said the aircraft screens allowed them to watch movies on the domestic legs. My mom is also super excited that they can take a shower at Hotlanta on the way back in two weeks. And oh, they said the Delta food was better than that on AA or UA.

My mom's comment was she understood why I preferred to fly on DL where possible.

Originally Posted by wco81
Hunter Keay will be baying at the moon. He can tell you how stupid it is to care about service or product quality, people buy on price and schedule. Or so we have been told non-stop for the last six years everytime UA make a "change you will like"