FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Business Platinum WeWork benefit to 12.31.2020.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 6:17 am
yerffej201

Originally Posted by mia
I understand the distinction between asking price and market value. I also understand that you know how much you would pay. I struggle to understand how you know what most people would pay, and why you think it is misleading for American Express to refer to the MSRP in their marketing.
I don't know, but it's an assumption I'm willing to make. This is based on the fact that the overwhelming majority (say, 90%) of cardholders do not currently have a co-working membership, or already have an equivalent and don't see this limited offering as an acceptable replacement (or any other number of reasons). If they don't need such a membership, I don't believe that most people would pay anywhere close to $2700. They might see the value of the membership, the benefits of which I'm not necessarily debating, but their willingness to pay is not strongly tied to that.

It's misleading for AMEX to use MSRP because of the fact that most folks would not get $2700 of value, much less pay $2700 for this benefit. Again, I don't know whether that's true or not, but I don't think anyone else (other than employees of WeWork and AXP who have the analytics) would know either. Partly, I form my conclusion based on the (limited) number of SB cardholders I know and the variety of folks I've met in WeWork spaces. There's certainly bias, but that's what I think. I tend to balk at most inflated MSRPs anyways, so it's not like this is the only scenario where I dislike.