FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - ARCHIVE: Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Availability (2019 master thread)
Old Sep 14, 2019, 10:27 am
sdsearch
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by matt85
Are there any long distance routes where AA usually has C space available? Asia, Europe, or anything. I've a few left that will expire in January, and looking for opportunities to spend them for a weekend trip.
Already checked the routes to PVG without much luck from October - January. I would like to avoid gambling and if at all possible clear it at booking. Forfeiting the upgrades is less painful than 12 hours Y...
It changes from day to day, but it's mostly likely to be available in advance sometimes on some routes. I scored an C1 upgrade ahead of time both ways on PHX<->SJO (Costa Rica) which is a new route starting in December that I'm flying a couple months later on a 737. That C1 appeared on the outboard for a few weeks, then disappeared, then a few weeks later it appeared in both directions, and I grabbed it. Whether it'll appear again, I don't know.

And not that that's probably not a route with high business travel, and not a plane on which seats upfront are as highly coveted.

Anyway, you have to be flexible in either where you're going or when you're going or at least when you're booking to find it.