FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Marriott Bonvoy ‘Ambassador Elite’ Level : experiences (2020 and earlier)
Old Sep 13, 2019, 10:10 am
chipmaster

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
A general question, but first to say at least myself I have had the same ambassador for almost three years now. She can't do all my request but the things she does she does well and she responds quickly usually in 24 hours or less. I hope I get to keep her for the remaining years she is an ambassador and I qualify.

What is every ones expectation, do you think they should enable or execute?
1) Get you a room / upgrade / corner suite when possible the hotel is over sold?
2) Get tickets or reservations at some crazy exclusive and popular place,
3) Go between for local information/attractions/food/transportation somewhere they've never been?
4) What is your request ?

For me personally things I've asked and fully understand even with my status I'm no DYKWIA.

1) Suite upgrade for special occasions. She always responds as noted usually 24 hours, and gets back that it is confirmed, request in, or sadly not confirmed. She gets an A+ here, nothing more I could ask. Whether I get the upgrade or not isn't in her or my control!
2) Local information: Here she gets a B, many places she hasn't been, how can I reasonably expect her to be my personal admin and spend more than a 10-20' doing research that TripAdvisor, Google search or the hotel web site can't do. Generally she returns things that I could equally do. Do we expect them to be local experts.
3) Tickets/reservations etc. She generally works thru the hotel concierge. Saves me time / email work to figure out who to contact. But she can't work magic here, this is where I think too many people think the ambassador can elevate their DYKWIA thinking and blame their ambassador for desires that no reasonable person expect the POTUS or some VIP gets. I think they could do more, like direct research thru opentable/Yelp but she always seems to work thru local concierge and that is also YMMV. Some concierges are good some are well a waste, LOL, She gets an A here, A+ would be to do some direct stuff.

For a different thought approach, I recent went on a business and anniversary celebration. Asked for recommendation of hotels, got them, ask for upgrade, got the presidential suite. Raved about the service and positives about hotel and service ( could have focused on the negatives, there were areas for improvement ), Got a nice bonus points from the ambassador days later, was it quid pro quo, who knows, but being positive and nice things happen isn't a bad thing even when you don't get everything you think you want, sometimes it just ain't realistic or possible, DUH