FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - first greece trip ... Amanzoe and ??
View Single Post
Old Sep 12, 2019, 2:15 pm
david55

Originally Posted by bhrubin
No shame whatsoever! This will be our first visit to Meteora. While I'm delighted that you enjoyed the Dellas, that isn't luxury to me at all. Nor is the 5 hr drive each way from/to Athens.

We will get to see 2-3 monasteries and enjoy two fly-overs of all 5 monasteries for our helicopter day trip. The average visitor staying nearby supposedly sees 2-3 monasteries, too. And we'll get the flyovers that most don't get at all.

It may deserve more time for you, but it's just about perfect for me--not to mention that I dreaded the onerous 5 hr drives to and from Meteora. Instead, we will enjoy much shorter 75 minute flights each way. That absolutely is luxury to me.

Keep in mind that I also shortened our Santorini stay from 5 nights to 3 nights because I wasn't sure there's enough there to hold my interest. That view will hold my attention for maybe a day or two and then I'll be ready to move on.

I think I know myself pretty well. I don't need to see 4 monasteries to get a sense of what a monastery looks like. Churches in Europe come to mind...

Different strokes...
No need to defend yourself....I get it.....and you are absolutely right.... the 5 hour drive is the worst and I would never do it again. The drive is through a boring landscape littered with half built factories never finished or abandoned. Perhaps my romance with Meteora in part was simply a relief to be there after the long dusty drive.

P.S. Jealous about the helicopter ride and over fly.