FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - first greece trip ... Amanzoe and ??
View Single Post
Old Sep 12, 2019, 12:44 pm
bhrubin
Suspended

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by david55
Have you been to Meteora before? I wholeheartedly disagree that there are " no great hotels" in Meteora.... great and luxury don't have to mean the same. The Dellas Hotel ( we stayed two nights) was one of the most magical lovely experiences at ANY hotel in the world I have had. From the hotel staff to the sublime breakfast to the sound of nightingales singing us to sleep. I still dream of our two nights there and long for more.

https://dellasboutiquehotel.com/

What a shame to see and experience Meteora as a day trip.... it deserves more time.
No shame whatsoever! This will be our first visit to Meteora. While I'm delighted that you enjoyed the Dellas, that isn't luxury to me at all. Nor is the 5 hr drive each way from/to Athens.

We will get to see 2-3 monasteries and enjoy two fly-overs of all 5 monasteries for our helicopter day trip. The average visitor staying nearby supposedly sees 2-3 monasteries, too. And we'll get the flyovers that most don't get at all.

It may deserve more time for you, but it's just about perfect for me--not to mention that I dreaded the onerous 5 hr drives to and from Meteora. Instead, we will enjoy much shorter 75 minute flights each way. That absolutely is luxury to me.

Keep in mind that I also shortened our Santorini stay from 5 nights to 3 nights because I wasn't sure there's enough there to hold my interest. That view will hold my attention for maybe a day or two and then I'll be ready to move on.

I think I know myself pretty well. I don't need to see 4 monasteries to get a sense of what a monastery looks like. Churches in Europe come to mind...

Different strokes...