FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - first greece trip ... Amanzoe and ??
View Single Post
Old Sep 12, 2019, 12:12 pm
bhrubin
Suspended

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
Don’t focus on luxury hotels in Greece, this limits you too much. There are lots of amazing, beautiful islands that have nothing better than a 3-4 star property. Still 100x better there than being overrun with tourists and staying at a 5-star in Fira or Oia on Santorini.
As pointed out below, this is the Luxury Hotels Forum.

Also, I want a luxury hotel and all its bells and whistles and great service and F&B--and better chances to deliver me reliable air con. If I was willing to forego those, there are plenty of campgrounds and such that offer incredible locations that I also could enjoy. But I won't!

Also, there often are reasons there are so many tourists in these high demand locations. There often are great restaurants to enjoy in these high demand locations. And there often are great luxury hotels taking advantage of them in those locations. It doesn't have to be mutually exclusive proposition if one stays in a luxury hotel in one location and visits or also stays in a less touristy but also beautiful location elsewhere.

We will be visiting Meteora while staying at the Grand Bretagne in Athens--as a day trip by helicopter. There are no great hotels at which to stay in Meteora despite it being an incredible place. And it's a long 5 hr drive there and back from Athens. I want to avoid less impressive hotels and onerous drives. The helicopter day trip allows us to do both while still getting to see an incredible spot.