FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - American Express retention offers (2017-2019).
Old Sep 11, 2019, 6:18 pm
anabolism

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
At the end of May, I called about my Hilton Honors card (name changed from Surpass to something and then back to Surpass) and was offered a $50 statement credit after spending $1,000 within three months. I met the spend, but the credit never posted. Called about it yesterday, spoke to front-line agent who told me the offer on my account was for spending (I think she said $200) at restaurants. She was about to give me one-time courtesy credit for $50 "for being such a valued customer and because the terms weren't properly explained to you." I was concerned that doing it that way could cause a problem if I later did need a credit for something, so I pointed out that the offer was very clearly for spending $1,000 in any normal spending. She then transferred me to Retentions, where an agent confirmed the offer and said AmEx was having system problems that affected all such offers, and that the credit should be in my (and everyone's) account in October. So I should have taken the one-time courtesy credit and then gotten $100.