FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - CX ending YVR-JFK, dropping HKG-YVR to 14x weekly
Old Sep 10, 2019, 2:24 am
QRC3288

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by cheung.chunyuenc
I think the biggest problem is the slots in HKG.
No, I'm confident this isn't the biggest problem (or even a problem!) at all. CX has the most slots of anyone at HKG and even if not granted, can retime / reclassify / change one of literally hundreds of flights to accommodate. They do it all the time! And schedules change constantly, with minor retimings, cancellations, etc. Plus CX is going to definitely have some consolidating and flight decreases coming as a result of the situation in Hong Kong currently. They don't just give those slots up. Anyway, if this was someone who only has a few slots at HKG, I could see it being a problem. For CX, it's not.

(But anway, the times I mentioned are actually still pretty open for slots. You'll right that you'll struggle to get a new slot allocation from call it 9am until about 11pm at HKG. But you can still get an early morning arrival slot, and a late night departure.)

I think a bigger issue is what the other posters says and I didn't think about, which is what happens to one of the flights that's only 4 days a week.