FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - June 2020 trip advice
View Single Post
Old Sep 9, 2019, 4:27 pm
zippy the pinhead

Originally Posted by pdragn78
I'm also planning a trip to Korea, but in June 2021. I know it's far ahead, but trying to get some tips from this forum. Food looks good from the pictures, but not sure whether better to book using award miles or if it would be better to pay cash. While business class would be ideal, it may be out of my mileage price range with 5 people (3 adults, 2 children). I'll likely start a new thread so I'm not too off topic, but make sure you post tips after your trip is completed!
It is good to plan ahead, but do check carefully on the peak travel time costs in miles if you're on KE or OZ. The dates going over and coming back to the US are not the same, and you can stretch your miles for value if you choose your dates carefully. You can search and find some threads, but as an example, last time we traveled as a family, we did peak time (more expensive) economy class on the way over and off-peak business class (a better redemption in miles) on the way back. Two separate PNRs for each person.

Alternatively, since one-ways are usually not a good value on KE/OZ, you may pay for some family members and redeem miles for others. Do your due diligence. We have also split the team, so to speak, with half the family on one carrier and half on the other. Whatever it takes. Be sure to get your family pooling in place now, if you don't already have it. Both KE and OZ have family pooling.