FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - A million questions booking LON-TYO for a small child
Old Sep 9, 2019, 6:27 am
nancypants

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by gingerlucy
I have little to add on redemption practicalities but as you mentioned school holidays do you mean summer 2020? Be warned that the Olympics are in Japan next year from 24 July - 9 August and the Paralympics from 25 August - 6 September. Expect travel to Japan to be much more in demand and expensive, redemptions very hard to find, and the same for hotels. Apologies if you already knew this.

I've managed to get a flight deck visit - for grown ups, not even children! - by asking the CC nicely if it would be OK at the end of the flight during disembarkation if the Captain isn't too busy. However as you say that's one to request on the day, not in advance, and best done out of earshot of the child in case for operational reasons it doesn't turn out to be possible.
i was leaning towards either Easter or whatever the October ish holidays are called (2020 so especially for October I appreciate things may have changed by then)- October would work better for me with work and other planned trips

agreed on disappointment although the various upheavals and sensible parenting means he is well conditioned to disappointment these days

he will likely be far more excited about the Shinkansen. I don’t expect “flight deck visits” will be even a faint possibility there!!