FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Trip Report: My first BA and First First Experience
Old Sep 8, 2019, 3:37 pm
mhy

Programs: JGC
From Paddington I took the Bakerloo Line tube to London Waterloo, where I picked up my ticket to Weybridge, where I would be visiting the Brooklands Museum.
I had purchased a 'first class' ticket but this turned out to be a bit of a joke. The legroom in the twin seat section was probably something like 26 inches, I could almost not sit down without turning sideways (I am 6'0).

"First Class" on South Western Railways

Weybridge Station

Brooklands Museum is located about a 20-minute walk from the train station, which made for good exercise after a transatlantic flight.
The centerpiece of the museum is the Concorde G-BBDG, which was used in the 1970s by BA as test aircraft. I was very excited to have the opportunity to get a quick tour of the aircraft. They also have longer events (including some featuring actual Concorde pilots and cabin crew), events oriented toward adults, and events for children.

The tour, costing £5, was led by a gentleman who was very enthusiastic about the aircraft and its history. Very enjoyable 40-minute tour, the highlight of which was being able to board the aircraft and see the cabin, flight deck, galleys, and of course, the toilet.

Concorde G-BBDG

The toilet

Tiny windows!

G-BBDG Flight Deck

G-BBDG had its final flight in December 1981, subsequently being stored at Filton Airport. It was acquired by Brooklands Museum in 2003 and painstakingly taken apart for transport to the museum and restored on-site.

The museum also has a large number of classic cars and several other aircraft, including a privately-owned Harrier jump jet.

Last edited by mhy; Sep 8, 2019 at 4:08 pm