FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Trip Report: My first BA and First First Experience
Old Sep 8, 2019, 3:36 pm
mhy

Programs: JGC
Trip Report: My first BA and First First Experience

Just got back from my super quick one-day trip from New York to London. It was purely a mileage run & I had found a decent fare in BA First on the LHR-JFK leg so I booked it without much hesitation. I arrived in London in the morning, stayed overnight at the Sofitel in LHR and headed back to NYC the next morning.

I will preface this by saying this was my first ever flight on BA and my first time in international F. I'd flown J in several airlines before but never F.

BA116 JFK-LHR
Aircraft: Boeing 747-400 (Super Hi-J)
Seat: 35J (World Traveller Plus)

I arrived at JFK Terminal 7 around 5pm for the 8:10pm departure. Due to my Sapphire status, I was able to use the Business Class checkin desk and fast-track security even though I was traveling in WTP. I asked whether a Club World cash upgrade was available and was told that there wasn't room at the moment but that I should inform the lounge staff so they can notify me if space did become available. The upgrade cost was quoted as $599 but ultimately, it was a full flight and I didn't get the opportunity to upgrade.

BA Club Lounge, Terminal 7

I only took one picture of the lounge, but it was pretty nice and spacious. There is a rather limited selection of hot/cold food items, and a lot of beverage choices. Most Club World passengers appeared to be eating in the preflight dining area (which was guarded by a lounge agent, who was checking the boarding passes of anyone trying to enter). I had about 12 wings plus a salad in the lounge for dinner. Service was good - lounge staff proactively walked around clearing plates and glasses, and it was very new and clean.

British Airways Club Lounge, JFK Terminal 7

The lounge was initially crowded with many ANA passengers waiting to board NH109, and remained quite busy as wave after wave of BA passengers arrived and departed for BA112, BA174, and BA176. Finally BA116 was called to board, and I boarded in Group 2. I heard the BA002 Baby Bus flight to LCY being called, and swore to myself that I would try it out in the near future.

The World Traveller Plus cabin on the 747-400 (super hi-J) was quite intimate and small, with just 30 seats in four rows of 2-4-2 seating (3 rows on the rightmost side due to the lavatory directly behind seats 35J/K).
Seat was well-padded, the legroom was good, not much else to say. I didn't use the IFE much as I tried to sleep as much as possible. I skipped both meals and caught a 3 hour nap on the short flight east across the Atlantic. Flight time was somewhere around 5 hours 45 minutes.

Upon arrival in London I used the e-gates (first time!) which made immigration a breeze, I was through in 30 seconds. This is a big improvement. When I went through LHR earlier this year on a business trip (arriving on AA J) I made the mistake of using the 'fast track' immigration line which was nothing but. I will always be using the e-gates from now on!

Beautiful B747 upon arrival in Heathrow

After putting my backpack in the hotel, I took the Heathrow Express to Paddington. I had purchased an advanced 'Business First' ticket, for the price of £16.5 which I think is very reasonable. There was only one other passenger in the car and I arrived in Paddington Station.

Last edited by mhy; Sep 8, 2019 at 4:27 pm