FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - EWR - SIN - AKL (SQ J) seating
View Single Post
Old Sep 8, 2019, 3:18 am
Mlee888

Originally Posted by GeezerCouple
Thanks very much, Mlee888, lokijuh, antebellum, and CedarSwampThing.

This is just the type of information we are seeking.

We'll try for those seats in a moment, but it may be too late (I think there is another "bulkhead" row in the next section, but that might depend upon specific equipment, etc.

And it seems the Airport Crown Plaza will be the best place for a good night's sleep, and also a "real dinner" and breakfast as well. Room service? That could be very important, if I end up with jet lag like last time. Perhaps being prepared/award of the possibility will help, although I don't know what we could have done differently. We flew to Tokyo on JL F, so we had nice lie flat seats, albeit not nearly as wide and comfy as the amazing CX F out of HKG. Maybe it was the excitement of a "first major trip like that", and I didn't make proper use of the chance to sleep? But I *really* suffered, so much so that at breakfast the next morning, it was all I could do to avoid bursting into tears in the breakfast restaurant at our hotel, and tell DH that "I **NEED** TO GO HOME... immediately... we cannot possibly stay..."
Yes, it was that bad, and totally unexpected. I had *never* had anything like that happen, not even close. I did not tell him about my feelings/impulse about that until some time later. We did interrupt breakfast - "I'm too tired to continue eating" - and went upstairs and collapsed, even though we had slept about 10+ hours when we had thought we were lying down "for nap" when we first arrived. We slept through til dinner, and had a light snack via room service, and back to sleep in less than an hour. We then woke up the next morning, went (to a different hotel restaurant) for breakfast, and had a lovely view of the special hotel gardens, and... felt back to normal.

-> At least, IF it happens again, I'll know that we can rule out any sense of "needing to go home", thank goodness.
Point is, we seriously think we should plan "as if" this may happen again, and be delighted if it does not.

How nice IS the Crown Plaza at the airport? How far (time- and hassle-wise) would a "nicer" hotel in town be?
If it doesn't have 24 hour *full* room service, for example, that might not be the best idea if we are delayed and are trying to get better nutrition in, especially as we have a full day of flying again the next day.

Any other suggestions for the 2 days of flying are always welcome!
There doesn't seem to be F available on these two flights, so we can't even wait for availability.

I think the "other" direction, from JFK through FRA has an extra stop?
-> Or can one stay on the plan at FRA and then just have the single connection (as in getting off and back on a plane) at SIN again?
Does anyone ever "stay on the plane" at intermediate stops anymore?
(Well, "single connection" other than the "night before" at EWR vs. JFK.)
But the chances of getting F awards seats on that routing... not something we can count on.
However, thus far, we have been remarkably fortunate in getting almost last-minute F seating open up, especially if we are willing to change travel day by a day either direction.

Thanks again.
And sorry if I made this sound like a Debbie Downer post. We are really VERY excited about this trip

GC
Changi Crown Plaza is a 4 star hotel and is literally a stone throw away to T1-3.

The 4 star hotels in Asia are literally way better than the 3-4 stars in US and Europe I find.

The thing to consider is this. Upon exiting immigration in SIN, you’ll be at this hotel within minutes. Within 30 minutes you could be at any other hotel in Singapore given how small the island is. All depends on what you want to do.

If it’s just rest and sleep, Crown Plaza is the one to book. If you book and change your mind last minute and fancy a view of the indoor rain vortex (waterfall), then you can walk to Jewel shopping mall. It’s all part of the airport pre-departures area.

However, if you are also considering wanting to go visit Marina Bay, Chinatown etc. then you should stay in a hotel closer to the CBD area. That said, you can still always get a taxi or train there from Crown Plaza. It’s not expensive and doesn’t take too long.

JFK - SIN via FRA is the same plane. You have to deplane and then re-board onto the same aircraft.