FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Gifting my 75K upgrades
View Single Post
Old Sep 7, 2019, 6:05 am
Xrayman

Programs: Alaska airlines 100k
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
I understand what you are outlining. I use ExpertFlyer too but rarely as a 75K do I set alerts. I can select Premium on any non-Saver fare at booking and won't purchase a fare that I cannot immediately upgrade into.

Even ExpertFlyer isn't 100%. It is possible for U space to open and that U space to be spoken for without ExpertFlyer ever seeing it. ExpertFlyer doesn't check continuously for U space so whatever happens between the intervals of when it does check, ExpertFlyer would be none the wiser. I have also been alerted of U space availability that was no longer available. It wasn't available because in a manual check, I located the U space myself, called into AS and utilized a GGU. I received the alert sometime later, after I had already selected my F seat indicating a lag between finding U and sending the alert.

I look at ExpertFlyer as another tool in my toolbox. I can understand that it has some usefullness for a FF with status, but I don't see the need for some casual flyers that are gifted a GGU to have it. Hence my question; Why?

I find GGUs most valuable when used with a companion certificate. I don't mind paying the differential to fare bucket K when the companion fare is always $99. In essence, you are upfaring and upgrading two for the price of one.

When I am flying without my partner, I am just as happy to purchase an R fare and select a row 6 seat at booking. More often than not, I am upgraded anyway, even on awards and SDCs, so there is no real need to worry about U, no alert on a missed U, inaccurate alert on non-existant U or spending futher monies. The differential to a GGU eligible fare (could be higher than fare bucket K on any given flight) often does not justify the outlay as a 75K, especially on a shorter flight.

I have been upgraded on all but 2 of my AS flights this year. In the event that I am not upgraded, I am perfectly happy in Premium for any flight in the AS Network.

James

Family and I get a total of 16 per year (75K, gold, and gold). We get to use about 12 per year typically for 2 Mexico vacations that are planned 6-8 months in advance or SEA to LaX. Hard to use them midcon or transcontinental unless red eye (which we no longer do). Unfortunately , 4 gets wasted annually.

I considered “gifting” them to extended family and friends but many don’t travel as frequently and when they purchase their own tickets the “added” cost to use GGU seems unnecessary to them. Thus my wife explained to me that I was not giving them a gift but rather a “bill” for a higher cost ticket despite it being FC ticket. She reminded me that Most travelers are very content with main cabin and are very price sensitive.

I stopped “gifting” these as it also turned me into a travel agent frequently having to do the work myself.