FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Barclays retention offers (all cards)
View Single Post
Old Sep 6, 2019, 11:31 pm
nwflyboy

Programs: Northwest, United
Originally Posted by nwflyboy
Called today for my AAviator Biz MC.
2nd year I've had this card. (Don't recall if I tried for or received a retention offer last year.)
Annual spend this year was about $15K (almost all of it in office supply stores).

Spoke with first-level CSR, asked if I could speak with someone about retention offers.
CSR said nope, sorry, no offers for you, nobody else you can talk to, gotta pay the AF, nothing to discuss.

Told her hmmm, I'd think about it, make no decision today, take no action, will decide later.
Perhaps worth noting: called on Sunday during Labor Day weekend. Will wait until normal business hours after holiday weekend (maybe Retention folks will be around then) and try again.
I called back today, during business hours. Results were different - what a shock.

Gave the same story I gave on the previous call. Asked if there were any incentives available. CSR put me on hold, then quickly came back and offered to give a credit on the next statement to offset the AF. She specifically told me: they are allowed to do this one time in the life of the card (so I guess I can expect some greater pushback next year). Accepted the AF credit, thanked her and went about my business.

Lessons I take away from this:
  1. If you don't like the answer you get, try again later.
  2. Don't expect a retention offer during a holiday weekend, when more senior staff are off. Call during business hours!
  3. Getting a credit to offset the AF seems to be really easy -- if you call when the retention department is working -- but after the first year may not be so easy. We'll see next year.
^ ^ ^