FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Bidding for Upgrades vs Buying Business
View Single Post
Old Sep 6, 2019, 12:13 pm
MrKeynes

Programs: Lifemiles Diamond, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Semphyra
The upgrade bidding works with paid and award tickets. The program only works in certain routes (I'm not sure if SCL-GRU is already included) and there is a minimum bid. Now you are going to get better chances since you are ahead of almost everybody except Black and Black Signature (OWE) passengers using coupons

Make sure to book a flight with a wide-body aircraft (767, 787 or 350) to get Premium Business, otherwise you are going to get only Premium Economy which is like European Business with the middle-seat blocked and extra pitch between seats.

66k miles (AA miles?) looks a lot to me for a 4 hour flight. I'd book one leg with Paid J and the rest with a mix of Paid Y and Award Y

Am I getting priority in the bidding because of my AA status or is it that the bidding system trumps elite upgrades, like AV? Should a minimum bid be enough? Any famous threads with other people experience on that?

I don't really care for business in this short flights but I'd be pleased to test the 350, thats one of the reasons I'm trying to figure out a way to fly LATAM to SCL. D

Last but not least, 66k livelo points to be transformed in Multiplus, I have a ton of almost useless livelo points after Amex shifted from membership rewards to this stupid program in Brasil.