FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Award redemption help! BKK-NYC
View Single Post
Old Sep 5, 2019, 10:33 am
guv1976
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by jflyer2019
Hi!

I am trying to plan my honeymoon and looking to book business class award tickets, but am running into an issue that I'd like your assistance with as a noobie. I have enough Chase points to cover 2x business class saver awards on the way there (90k/person), however, on the way home I am ~15k points short but have AMEX points. Do you have any suggestions on how I can pool AMEX + Chase? Is the only option to buy 15k miles? Points balances below that can be put toward return flights. I've looked at Singapore which is a shared travel transfer partner but its 140k/person.

Chase: 165k
Amex: 80k

Thanks!
If you and your intended are both credit-worthy and have never had a Barclays/AA credit card, there's an incredible offer advertised in this month's American Airlines in-flight magazine: 60,000 AA miles after first purchase of any amount, with a first-year annual fee waiver. When I go to the indicated website, MyAviatorCard.com, the fee waiver does not show up for the AA "Aviator Red" card, so you might have to call Barclays at 866-951-7197 to confirm the offer.

If you each got the card and the miles, that would be enough for a Business Class award for each of you from Japan to the U.S.; you could use BA Avios to fly BKK to TYO if the carrier charges on that route are reasonable.

Edited to add: Apparently, the offer does show up at the MyAviatorCard.com website when accessed from a desktop or laptop, but not from my Android smartphone. The landing page does, however, require the promo code from the applications handed out on board on AA flights.

Last edited by guv1976; Sep 6, 2019 at 10:01 am