FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Let’s talk about alternatives to the SPG Amex after the massive Marriott devaluation
Old Sep 5, 2019, 10:04 am
bgriff

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by emma dog

Considering Amex MR and Chase will transfer to Bonvoy, there’s no benefit of using a hotel-specific card just to earn points unless you factor in the various card bonuses and do the points valuation calculation comparison.
Well, except for that non-bonus spend earns 3 Bonvoy points (once you account for the $25K bonus) on the Bonvoy Amex or at best 1.5-2 UR/MR points, and thus 1.5-2 Bonvoy points, on various other cards.

I have cards that earn 3-5 UR/MR points per dollar on various categories including travel, dining, and groceries, so I agree it would make no sense to put those categories of spend on the Bonvoy Amex*. But unless I was really desperate for Bonvoy points and incredibly flush with airline points, I probably wouldn't convert those 3-5 UR/MR points to 3-5 Bonvoy points, either, because there are usually higher-value options for using UR/MR points.

*Personally I still put Bonvoy hotel spend on the Bonvoy Amex, again mainly driven by my scarcity-of-hotel-points viewpoint, though many take the view that 3 UR points on the Chase Sapphire Reserve is worth more than 6 Bonvoy points. At least, assuming you're going to use the UR points for something other than transferring to Bonvoy.